We acknowledge the significance of your online privacy and acknowledge that granting us permission to collect some personal information requires a great deal of trust. We seek this consent as it enables Distinct Post to offer a platform that amplifies the voices of the marginalized. By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Distinct PostDistinct Post
Aa
  • Home
  • Israel-Gaza Conflict
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Style
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Royals
Reading: US will not back off from its mission in Syria: White House
Share
Aa
Distinct PostDistinct Post
  • Home
  • Israel-Gaza Conflict
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Style
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Royals
Search
  • Home
  • Israel-Gaza Conflict
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Style
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Royals
Follow US
Distinct Post > World > Middle East > US will not back off from its mission in Syria: White House
us-will-not-back-off-from-its-mission-in-syria-white-house
Middle EastUnited States

US will not back off from its mission in Syria: White House

Lisa Sean Published March 28, 2023
SHARE

The United States will not draw recede from its nearly eight-year-old deployment to Syria, where it is combating the remnants of ISIS, despite attacks on US forces there last week by Iran-backed militia, the White House said on Monday.

A drone attack hit a US base in Syria on March 23, killing an American contractor, wounding another, and injuring five US troops. That activated US retaliatory air strikes and exchanges of fire that a Syrian war monitoring group said killed three Syrian troops, 11 Syrian fighters in pro-government militias, and five non-Syrian fighters who were aligned with the government.

John Kirby, a White House National Security Council spokesperson said he was not familiar with any further attacks over the past 36 hours but cautioned, “We’re going to stay vigilant.”

Kirby also referred to United States President Joe Biden’s statements on Friday, in which Biden warned Iran that the US would act strongly to guard Americans.

There’s been no change in the US footprint in Syria as a result of what happened the last few days. We’re not going to be deterred … by these attacks from these militant groups.”

Kirby said, adding the mission against ISIS would continue.

Syria’s foreign ministry on Sunday denounced US strikes, saying the United States had lied about what was targeted and vowing to “end the American occupation” of its territory. Iran’s foreign ministry also condemned the strikes, blaming US forces for targeting “civilian sites.

US forces first deployed into Syria during the Obama administration’s campaign against ISIS partnering with a Kurdish-led group called the Syrian Democratic Forces. There are about 900 US troops in Syria, most of them in the east.

Before the latest attacks, US troops in Syria had been struck by Iranian-backed groups about 78 times since 2021, according to the US military.

Iran has been a major supporter of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad during Syria’s 12-year battle. Iran’s proxy militias, including the Lebanese group Hezbollah and pro-Tehran Iraqi groups, hold power in swathes of eastern, southern, and northern Syria and suburbs around the capital, Damascus.

You Might Also Like

Trump assassination case: Prosecutors say Secret Service agent was shot by suspect

‘NACHO’ Takes Over Wall Street, New Trump Nickname Signals Oil Market Panic

US to Release Limited Passports Featuring Donald Trump’s Image for 250th Anniversary

Man Charged With Attempted Assassination of Donald Trump After Washington Security Breach

Shocking Social Media Activity of White House Shooting Suspect Raises Alarm, Reports Say

Lisa Sean August 2, 2023 March 28, 2023
Popular News
Entertainment

Are Wedding Bells Ringing for Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s Daughter Zahara?

Lisa Sean Lisa Sean June 10, 2025
Federal Judge Dismisses Donald Trump’s $475 Million Defamation Lawsuit Against CNN
Ramesh Viswashkumar: Sole Known Survivor of Air India Ahmedabad Crash Shares Harrowing Experience
Meta Platforms Expands AI Ambitions with $21 Billion Infrastructure Deal
Prince William Faces Backlash Over Climate Change Remarks During Singapore Visit

Categories

  • Market
  • Tech
  • Fitness
  • Food
  • Celebrity
  • Fashion
  • Beauty
  • Football
  • Cricket
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • Movies
    • Television
  • Style
    • Arts
    • Beauty
    • Fashion
  • Health
    • Fitness
    • Food
  • Sports
    • Baseball
    • Basketball
    • Cricket
    • Football
    • Olympics
  • Business
    • Market
    • Tech
Useful Links
  • About us
  • Privacy policy
  • Term Of Use

2023 © Distinct Post News & Media. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?